Wednesday, May 7, 2008

First Dark Warrior



This was my very first Dark Eldar conversion, which I showed on warseer some time ago. From him, I constructed a unit made in much the same way (although their helmets are all different). I really liked Jes Goodwin's Guardian design, so to make a conversion based on that was a no brainer. The helmet is a combination of the bottom half of a guadian head with the top half of a Dark Eldar head. The back spikes are tyranid gaunt arms, an idea I originally saw in White Dwarf long ago. The White Dwarf artical had them on the back as trophies, while I turned them into part of the enviro-suit. I drilled holes into them to make them look more industrial. In my imagination, they serve the same purpose as the protusions on the back of the guardians suits; but also serve as a second-line weapon, being able to be detached and combined to become a cruel two handed weapon (This is just my imagination - not a wish for gameplay effect). If that second-line weapon is lost, then the Dark Eldar must rely on pop-up spikes from the suit itself (So I see a Dark Eldar warrior as never truly being unarmed). Since I see any small spikes as being pop-up, I kept all other spikes on the model to a minimum, with just a large spike on one knee. I also reshaped the boot straps to be small spikes, and drilled holes in the blade of the gun to match the holes in the back spikes. The only other addition to the model was to use green stuff to make the shoulder pads pointed and upward curving. Considering the number of these guys to be made, I felt that was already more than enough converting. When Games Workshop finally releases new Dark Eldar warriors, hopefully I will not feel the need to retire these warrior conversions. If necessary, I will treat them as Craftworld Eldar who have joined the ranks of the Dark Eldar.

No comments: