Saturday, May 10, 2008

Reaver Jet Bike Conversion (Part 5)

Just thought I would take the time to show everything as it currently is. At least it is now starting to look like a complete vehicle. The model is slightly longer than a standard Reaver - about the size of the rear thruster longer. I could have made it shorter, but I wanted it that long for two reasons. Firstly, the underside of the rear section is where a captive would be trapped, caught and kept immobile in a 'force net'. So the rear section needs to be long enough to hold a normal man sized captive. Secondly, the silhouette of the jet bike from above or below looks a little like a spear, so I wanted the tail section to be long enough to support that impression. Although the Dark Eldar can not summon an aspect of Khaine to fight for them like the Craftworld Eldar can, I believe the gods of the Eldar and the Dark Eldar would still be the same, even if the Dark Eldar may favor different gods within the common pantheon. The Craftworld Shining Spears use their laser lances as the 'Spears of Khaine', while the Dark Eldar prefer to use the jetbike itself as the 'Spear' (It perhaps may not be supported in terms of Dark Eldar background material, but that was part of my assembly philosophy). The model needs alot more work, but it does not look too bad even at this stage.
I still feel like the rear blade is too small. I am holding a Raider blade in position so as to compare. If I put that there, then it would go against my desire for the model to be front heavy, it would also draw attention away from the attack blades at the front (more blades at the front are yet to be added), and it would steal an important piece from my Raiders when I construct them. However, if I did replace the small blade with the Raider blade, then it would make the model scream out - "I am Dark Eldar"


2 comments:

Space Hulk Enthusiast said...

The big blade is the way to go without a doubt. Of course I don't have a solution for the problems that creates then.

Nice to see a new blog... on Dark Eldar at that. If your first few posts are any indication of the quality of the upcoming content, I'll be checking back frequently.

Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I've never liked Dark Eldar before, probably because of their lack of updatedness, but this is making me interested! I can't really decide about the large blade or small blade. It depends on how big the blades you're going to add to the front are, I think. If you add massive blades at the front, the massive back blade will be awesome, but if you don't, I think it detracts from the spear look.